Saturday, January 24, 2009

Holiday Logos







First off, I am a huge fan of Google.  Google is my primary search engine. One thing I always look forward to is when Google changes its logo on holidays to reflect that holiday.
 
 I did a bit of research as I was interested in who exactly is responsible for this? And I was surprised to find out it is one man, an artist from Korea, Dennis Hwang.

He creates the festive logos on Google to commemorate holidays or special events.
This started in 2000, when he was asked by Google founders, Larry Page and Sergey Brin, to honour Bastille Day with a special logo. Since then he alone designs about 50 logos a year.

I assumed that it was many different artists. Above are pictured some of my favorites from last year and I included the Martin Luther King Day logos from the last four years. I think this year is the most amazing.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I love those Google logos! The Irish one is pretty. No, I don't have a Mac. I have a Dell. Wish I did have a Mac. Do you, and do you like it?

Ina in Alaska said...

Thought of you last night as Ron & I had red wine & appetizers...

Formerly known as Frau said...

very interesting...I love the Irish one too!

Reenie said...

I always look forward to the Google logos. I particularly love random days when you get ones that you wouldn't expect a new google logo, like Earth Day or Arbor day

Leciawp said...

Neat to learn the background! I have noticed and admired the seasonal google logos.

preppyplayer said...

Frau, I like the Irish one the best as well!
Reenie, Sometimes the logo is the only way I am aware of an obscure or random holiday, it serves as an alert for me.
Ina, I DID have wine this weekend, it was great :)
Lecia, I love finding out the behind the scences story.
Ronda, I love my Mac and your spiffed up blog! Good job :)