Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A good, hot soak.



I like baths. I find them soothing, relaxing and medicinal. 
Medicinal,  both mentally and physically. 

I love baths on a wintery, bone chilling morning. I get some of my best ideas in the bath.
I always add bath salt to my bath. At first I would get the Dead Sea bath salts or any pretty "spa style" salts I found, like the purple salts shown above.  I would choose salts that had a wonderful scent adding an aromatherapy aspect to my bathing experience.

However, I did some research ( I like to do that!)  Which is why I now use Epsom salt in my bath.
 Yep, that's right, Epsom salt.
 I've learned that Epsom salt is Magnesium sulfate. Magnesium has many healing properties. It prevents hardening of the arteries, assists in nerve function, eliminates toxins and metals from cells and helps regulate insulin.
Sulfates stimulate the pancreas and mutin proteins.

Adding Epsom salt to the bath helps draw toxins out of the body, while allowing the skin to absorb the healing sulfates.  Magnesium is necessary for the body to bind needed amounts of serotonin, ( a mood-elevating chemical) within the brain creating a feeling of relaxation and calm.  Epsom salt is a NATURAL way to relax the body.

Now, it doesn't come in a very attractive box, the salts are plain white, and there is absolutely no scent- but I promise that you will feel better after a long, hot soak in an Epsom salt bath.
To get my aromatherapy in there, I light a candle.
Let me know if you decide to take an Epsom bath or if you already do, I'm interested :)


6 comments:

Formerly known as Frau said...

Well sounds like this and a sun lamp are what the doctor ordered for more mood lately.

Unknown said...

Sounds good on a day like today!

Ina in Alaska said...

I love to soak my awful feet in Epsom salt warm water. Really works!! Saw your weather on TV today...looks positively awful!! Be safe.

Joyce said...

Alright- I will go this weekend to get a box of Epsom salt, but I have two questions.
1- Will I retain water from it?

1- Will it leave a white ring around me?

Anything to that is good for us I will give it try.
I'll keep you posted! xoxo

preppyplayer said...

frau, sounds like an afternoon with friends helped you :)
Ronda, it was.

Ina, you're right- nasty weather here!
Joyce,Actually, Epsom salt is also used internally as a natural diuretic. So I would assume that it would cause you to eliminate rather than retain.
I don’t feel a residue after, but you could rinse with a quick shower if you do. Let me know what you think!

OHN said...

Wow, I haven't taken a bath in years (that sure sounds worse than it is;). We have a gigundo spa tub but the way our bedroom/bathroom is set up, there is no privacy so I hide in the shower instead....BUT, you may have convinced me to give a bath a try if I can ever get the house to myself.