Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Feis Feet

 A Feis, (pronounced  fesh) is a festival of Irish dance, music and culture.  At a Feis, girls and boys, (mostly girls) participate in Irish dance competitions called Irish step dance.  Because of the highly popular show, Riverdance you are most likely familiar with this style of dancing.
If you have seen Irish step dancing then you know that there is nothing faster than the feet of an Irish step dancer.  They fly! From the waist up, nothing moves except the curls on the dancer's head.

This weekend I will be a vendor at a Feis in New York City. Girls,  and some boys, from all over the world will come to compete in the Big Apple. 
Tomorrow I will post about the elaborate Celtic costumes.

7 comments:

Joyce said...

yes they do have some fancy foot work. some of gary's relatives would dance when younger. i got dizzy just watching them. have a good time! xoxo

Formerly known as Frau said...

I can't wait to hear how it went. Have fun!

OHN said...

My husband's (bagpipe) band plays at many festivals and I am always amazed at these young kids and the accuracy of their steps. I have had the opportunity to see groups from all over the world, most of them award winning.

The costumes are amazing. I would love to know how much they cost.

Ronda said...

Good luck and have fun. I have always wanted to clog dance!
XO

Ina in Alaska said...

Be well and prosper!!

Marilyn *Pink Martinis and Pearls* said...

How did the horse show go?

preppyplayer said...

The Garden state is the end of April and the Hampton Classic, (still not sure if I'm doing that) is at the end of August. All contracts are to be in now though!