Friday, January 29, 2010

Uncle

Uncle!
As in... I give up.

I have been teaching skiing for 10 years at a little hill in northern NJ. For most of those years it was rewarding, fun, it allowed my kids to keep their skiing skills up, and for them to have free snowboarding lessons. A few of them worked there teaching or in the ticket booth.

It was never for the money.
Or for the skiing as it is a very boring place to ski unless you are a true beginner.
What really grabbed me and kept me there was how fullfilling it was to teach someone something I love to do.
I especially loved teaching autistic kids to ski or any special needs students. I also loved the friends I made while working there. During our down time we would hang out and have great conversations until it was time to go out for the next lesson line-up.

However, things have changed.
My kids have outgrown the place and no one is working there this year.
I never seem to be assigned special needs kids.
They took away the break room, so no great times hanging out with other instructors.
They want us out training if we don't have a lesson- SO not interested in that!
They have us in line waiting for lessons way too long. ( it gets VERY cold when you stand in one place without moving!)

So all of a sudden instead of happily going off to work on Saturday and Sunday mornings-
I am dreading it!

This weekend the temps are supposed to hover around 15 degrees.
I really don't want to deal with that.
I think I'm done.
Uncle.

6 comments:

Susan R said...

Party's over. When it becomes a chore and you dread it....there's nothing worse. You did well, now it's time to move on. Just a thought though. Could you advertise if you wanted to for private lessons for special needs kiddos? Just a thought.

Ronda said...

As the saying goes, Nothing Stays the Same. You had a good run while it lasted. It must have been so rewarding teaching kids with special needs. My daughter teaches Special Ed and loves it!
Have a wonderful weekend!
XOXO

Formerly known as Frau said...

Uncle is right....you did your time! Enjoy your weekends this winter.

OHN said...

Sounds like it is time to pass the baton.

kks said...

all good things come to an end...now you can focus your valued time on other things! i taught skiing for many years too...really enjoyed it.
my favorite skiing destination is Alta...i'm so jealous...
xoxo

Ina in Alaska said...

I agree. Time to move on. One door shuts, another opens. You are so busy anyway!! xoxo