Saturday, May 9, 2009

Prom time...

Everybody remembers their prom, right? 
Good or bad you remember it. What I don't remember is the elaborate and expensive plans after prom.  

When I was prom age the drinking age was 18. 
We didn't have to secretly pre-game. In fact, many parents hosted champagne or alcohol punch pre-parties. Most of us didn't drink too much because we wanted to pace ourselves throughout the evening. Of course there were a few exceptions and I remember being at my 20th reunion discussing the girl who spent the entire prom in the bathroom throwing-up and how it's no surprise that she has been in and out of rehab...

Anyway, the relatively new prom tradition where I live is that after the prom the kids go to NYC in party buses or limos. They go to clubs that are open only to prom kids. 
The catch is: a lot of other high schools from all over are at these clubs too.
And, there is always trouble. Alcohol is usually involved, of course.
The after prom costs a lot, add in the prom bid, hair, nails, flowers, limo, tux/dress- we're talking a small fortune!

Our tradition back in the old days, (there, I said it!) post prom, was to go to parent's hosted breakfasts. We would change and then head down to the Jersey shore. I was never allowed to stay for the weekend or even over night. But, going down for the day was good enough!
I'm sure my parents didn't like our tradition as they wished we wouldn't go to the shore, but it sure didn't cost much.

5 comments:

Joyce said...

Is it safe to say I'm glad our proms were what they were back in the days. I hear not only the dress, flowers, the evening, the day after is important, but now how the guy has to ask. Ahhh... the talk of prom has brought back my great memories of my prom. Enjoy...

Happy Mother's Day my friend! xoxo

OHN said...

Our high school has an after-prom that is fabulous. All year long local merchants donate AMAZING merchandise (everything from elaborate sport packages with hard to get game tickets, tons of electronics from HDTV's to Ipods, and any item you can possibly thing of) Almost everyone leaves with something. The kids here like the after prom better than prom. Once you are in, you are not allowed to leave and come back. A few volunteer parents try to stay off in the shadows but are there if needed. Any kids that smell like booze is walked to the area where the off duty police office (hides) sits. The decorations are unbelievable, and a different theme every year.

Torch Lake Prep said...

It's sooo crazy now....I say blame it on "Gossip Girl"!

Ina in Alaska said...

Did we have the same parents? I too was not allowed to do anything beyond the after Prom b-fast, AND we had a beach house in Lavallette. I could not get away with anything! Plus, in those days, there were serious consequences for "breaking the rules".... unlike today.....

I enjoyed your post and enjoyed thinkiing back on my own Prom memories..... xoxo Happy Mother's Day, Preppy!! xoxo

Susan said...

I remember boyfriends being "allowed" on prom night to use their nice family car...and of course picked up the girl...none of this "meeting at a picture" place! I can't even imagine a limo!
Yikes...you still have a few more of these events to live through...