Monday, March 7, 2011

EATALY- what you should know...


“We cook what we sell and we sell what we cook.”
Last week I had some business in NYC and asked my son to join me and 
keep me company. I figured I would reward him afterwards with lunch. It 
was a rare, warm day in February so we decided to walk. We walked down
 5th avenue towards Union Square as there are tons of nice places to eat 
in that area. 
( I also thought I would drag him into the most amazing store-ABC Carpet.)
But, all of a sudden I realized we were in front of EATALY!!!
I have been wanting to go there ever since I started hearing the buzz last 
Summer but I had no idea it was so close to where I do all my business.
Eataly is the culinary project of Mario Batali, Joe Bastianich, 
lidi Matticchio Bastianich and Eataly founder Oscar Farine.  
The immense space situated between 23rd and 24th streets, 
fronted on 5th avenue is a primo destination for Italian style shopping,
 eating, experimenting, and learning. There are five restaurants within 
and many, MANY counters to order everything from fresh made pasta, 
all different kinds of sauces, to Italian hams and sausages. 
Now, I don't consider myself a "foodie" but I am an adventurous eater. So
 I couldn't wait to go in... and I wasn't disappointed! I don't think I have ever
 seen so many different types of olives oils in one place.We walked around 
for about an hour and then decided where to eat. We went to La Pizza & La Pasta. 
My son had a dish of fresh mozzarella and I had an amazing salad, mostly 
comprised of roots and radishes. Then we shared a pizza. Our food was 
delicious- made more so by the wine selection suggested by our waiter. 
The service was AWESOME!
At the end of the meal I asked for an expresso and that is when we found 
out the way you are supposed to eat at EATALY.
The intention is that you should be at EATALY for hours. 
Start at LE VERDURE with a soup and maybe a salad or you could start
 at IL PESCE with an amazing seafood antipasto. Then, head over to
 LA PASTA for a pasta course. Next, you would go to MANZA  for a meat course. 
At the end you can go to the cafe for expresso and pastries or there is a gelato store too. 
All along, while you enjoy your eating experience you can shop for any italian
 ingrediant that you ate there or that you could think of.
If you are heading to NYC make sure you stop in. it is a very unique experience. 
Not too expensive either.
Oh, and the people watching is crazy!


Restaurateurs (from left) Joe Bastianich, Lidia Matticchio Bastianich and Mario Batali have one foot in Italy and one in New York with their new extravaganza, Eataly.
VICTORIA WILL
Restaurateurs (from left) Joe Bastianich, Lidia Matticchio Bastianich and Mario Batali have one foot in Italy and one in New York with their new extravaganza, Eataly.



"Part of Eataly’s mission is to celebrate and foster understanding of the Italian table — a place where ingredients come from people with names and faces. To that end, it will include a cooking school and even an in-house travel agency that will organize trips."


8 comments:

Jg. for FatScribe said...

excellent ... ciao, bella! never heard of this before. looking fwd to catching this Eataly joint next time in town. ;)

kks said...

wow, sounds wonderful! you could write the review for a culinary magazine! my mouth is watering....
xoxo

preppyplayer said...

Jg.
Gratzie!
I was too busy to write in detail ( and people probably wouldn’t get past the 4th paragraph!) but it really is a scene and a total must see. The food was absolutely delicious. However, it is the concept that is truly brilliant. I can’t wait to go back.
On my next trip I plan on going to MOMA early in the morning and then walking the 25 blocks to EATALY in order to justify all the eating I plan on doing!

Kim, Thank you! Wouldn't that be a dream job? By the way, just thinking about our experience makes me hungry!

Barrett said...

I have never heard of Eataly and am so glad you wrote about it. I will add it to my New York To Do List. Sounds wonderful and like a great way to spend time in NYC.

justme said...

my mom went and raved about it. sounds like a perfect day trip to nyc

Formerly known as Frau said...

Sounds like it's on the list for the next visit!

Reenie said...

I've been dying to go! Maybe in a few weeks when I'm on break I'll manage it!

Ronda said...

OMG!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to take a trip just for this!! I bet you could just sit there all day and eat and sip wine! Any hotels around? This is right up my alley!
XOXO