Sunday, June 21, 2009

Summertime quandary....

Part of me feels responsible for making sure the summer is jam-packed with fun and activities for my sixth grader. 
You know,  camp, music programs, summer CCD, trips to amusement parks and the Jersey shore.

Most of me feels that the summer should be relaxing and free of organized events and activities.
That  an occasional trip to the beach and a weekly trip to the library for fresh summer reads should be enough.

 Oh, and making sure there is a daily swim at our town lake should be my only involvement.
I picture my boy up early and out the door roaming the neighborhood and town with his friends, coming home for lunch when he hears the twelve o'clock whistle and then heading out again until it's time to go the lake...

Unfortunately that is unrealistic as the other boys are at camp, involved in music programs or down at the beach for the summer.

Well I think my compromise with myself will be that he will have an unstructured summer at least until July 4th. There will be no plans or activities to eat up the day. No places we have to get to.
No commitments.



7 comments:

Paula@SweetPea said...

No schedule or commitments sounds like what summer should be for a kid.

kks said...

i think the "kids" will like no schedule....
i have an iPhone...LOVE it!!!

preppyinnewengland said...

I so enjoy your blog. I so agree with the lazy and carefree summer plans...always my goal, but the sports, music, and theatre seem to find their way! Atleast our ganes are very late afternoon, early evening so we can enjoy our beach time, playing and day-trips if the New England SUN ever returns!!!!!

Susan said...

I agree,so many kids are "over booked" in the summer... we used to just "play outside" - I miss that! Hard to find the balance... Should be nice for you to have a break too!

Joyce said...

I like the no schedule for summer. During the school year is pressure with school and all the activities.

I don't remember having such a tight schedule growing up, why do kids have them today? Some of their schedules are so full- it makes my head spin. I have asked friends and sister, but never really got a concrete answer. LOL...

preppyplayer said...

Paula- I'm with you!

Kim- Another vote for iPhone!

Prep- Thank you :) carefree sounds so good, doesn't
it?
Susan- I am looking for a break too- yiu're right!

Joyce- I wish I had a concrete answer too! I think all us Moms should make a pact!

Formerly known as Frau said...

Maybe next year he can spend the summer in Germany with his favorite Auntie!!