Tuesday, December 30, 2008

My winter thrill


To me, skiing is thrilling. The above pics were taken last February when we were out in Utah. Because my family has lived in the beehive state for 27 years, I have spent a lot of time there. I have many terrific memories of group skiing, lots of chairlift buddies and great apres de ski.

I am an intermediate skier. I ski black diamonds on good days, unlike some of my relatives who tackle chutes, cliffs, and double blacks. In the east I would be considered a good skier, out west I feel mediocre. 

No matter, I LOVE skiing there. As you can see from the pic above, many times we are the only people on a trail. The sound of my skis gliding on the snow and the wind in the pines is so soothing to me. I find it to be a zen type of experience. I do enjoy the physicality's of skiing, of pushing myself to ski better and longer, to try scary trails. Most of all I love the aesthetic aspect of skiing, it fulfills me.

7 comments:

Ina in Alaska said...

Utah is great for skiing. We had fun one year at The Canyons, also love Deer Valley.

Ronda said...

The one thing we don't have in common----skiing. I have tried about 4 times, and just can't loosen up to enjoy it. My kid's and husband are avid skiers. We have gone to Deer Valley every year since my kids were little. My husband started when they were in kindergarden, taking them out of school for a week to go skiing. I do, on the other hand, love the shopping, and sipping on a hot toddy waiting for them!

Ina in Alaska said...

Ronda - Deer Valley is perfect for that too! Happy New Year!

Joyce said...

Skiing is a perfect way to spend a day with your family.
It is a sport I wish I would have learned when I was younger. I went skiing once and had to have knee surgery!
My speed today is sitting by the fire sipping a favorite drink.
Enjoy!

OHN said...

Hi..thanks for stopping by my waste of time...errr, I mean my blog.

I hear you on the skiing...sadly I married a man that had no love for winter sports and my skiing days were left in the dust.

But OHHHH the memories of being snowed in at Peak 'n Peek :)

Leciawp said...

Great pictures!! Happy New Year to you and your family! (I didn't realize until yesterday that "frau" is your sister!)
xoxo

kw said...

No Worries PP...your a super skier! And those pics make me home sick and really brought up some fun memories of our big family fun ski days! lol
xo,
Kw