Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Tennis/Paddle ethics

    For some reason I don't think the situation I am about to describe is a male dilemma.  I think it is a problem women have.
And here is the scenario: My paddle partner and I are seriously kicking butt, we had won the first set 6-1 and are about to do the same second set. Our opponents are nice women, one is a fine paddle player, the other is an amazing tennis player that has never played paddle but they were desperate for a sub and she agreed to play. She was very frustrated as she didn't know her screens. Her partner( who is a good player) was trying to be patient and supportive, but was frustrated as well. So, I start to feel bad for the other team, begin encouraging them verbally and begin to give them easier shots!  WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME!!! This is for a state team that we travel all over NJ with. We have to accumulate a high percentage of wins to move up to the next level. WE are supposed to win and win big. I know men do not pity their opponents and go"easy" on them. 
I don't want to be a man... but I need to get me some bad ass competitiveness! Do you ever go easy on an opponent when they are losing so that they don't feel bad?

3 comments:

Ina in Alaska said...

You are competing to win and move up. It is not your problem that the other team may not be up to par. Play your game.

10NISNE1 said...

NEVER!!!!! It's not good for their game, and more importantly, it's not good for yours!

Caffeine Court said...

No, you have to TAKE ADVANTAGE of her weakness! Sorry, I'm a savage.