Sunday, November 30, 2008

NYC insider tip- BEST candy experience...


Here's the deal, there are (as far as I am concerned) two amazing candy experiences in NYC and they are polar opposites in every way.
1. Economy Candy, lower east side, 108 Rivington St.
2.Dylan's Candy Bar, upper east side, 1011 3rd Ave.

If you like everything bright, shiny, new and clean and if you are a high end, top shelf type of person... head on over to Dylan's Candy Bar
My daughter's favorite NYC itinerary is a morning at Bloomingdale's, a walk through Barneys, lunch and ice cream at Serendipity, and then a trip to Dylan's Candy Bar. They have candy everywhere, gifts that are candy themed- even the decor is candy themed.  I warn you, this is a very pricey itinerary, (read-special occasion.)

If you want to feel as though you've discovered a candy insider's dream,  you like sifting through treasure, and you consider yourself a hip, sophisticate, (or a true New Yorker) ... get yourself to Economy Candy
It's a small store filled from floor to ceiling with candy. I'm talking candy from Europe, from the 1960's...you name it. But it is overwhelming... and exciting! But it is gritty too. By that I mean you have to take your time, really look. Well worth it. Our favorite itinerary is lunch in Chinatown or little Italy and then a six block walk to Rivington St. After we get candy and pick up a cup of coffee, we people watch. We are never disappointed. Price wise, economy candy says it all!
You don't have to actually go to NYC to visit these two great sugar palaces:
www.dylanscandybar.com
www.economycandy.com

5 comments:

Leciawp said...

Great post! What fun. I went to college in Manhattan and actually have a link to Economy Candy in my post tomorrow (about cookie decorating) - nice to hear of another fan!

preppyplayer said...

same wavelength!

Ina in Alaska said...

Where are you Preppy???? Everything ok??? Miss you!

Somer Love said...

I LOVE CANDY!!!!!! I am so going next time I hit the big apple!! Maybe the Moskal.... I know you all have different last names but just like I will always be a McNeill to you guys you will always be Moskals to me :) Anyways maybe you girls can meet me I am hoping to be there in May sometime! You know to pre celebrate the Big 30... Crazy huh!! I am glad you stopped by my blog I am going to check out your website too! Kath is coming home for the holidays are you?Xo

preppyplayer said...

Hey Somer,
We can definitely meet and show you our " big apple."