Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Favorite Flowers


This time of year is so beautiful. The lilacs are blooming, the azaleas are too... and the rhododendrons are near.
 My favorite yard flowers are wisteria, lilacs, clematis and Hydrangea. As of now I have a scraggly lilac bush. My plan is to introduce some wisteria and clematis, once we have a fence and to plant some hydrangea once we have our new front porch.



My favorite cut flowers, besides cut from my yard, see above, would be tulip...
Love them. Remember, always put a penny in the vase  and you will prevent tulip droop.
Gardenias have special meaning for me. Not only do I love the smell, but the color of the white flower with deep green leaves is so bold and beautiful to me. I used this flower for my senior prom and in my wedding flowers. Not easy as it turns brown quickly.
As for carnations, although they are not my favorite in regard to look, they are meaningful to me as they were the first flower I ever received.  My Dad use to tell me it was my Mom's favorite flower.  
They seem so 1950's to me, a bit vintage.
What are your favorites and why?

7 comments:

Reenie said...

Lilacs are also up on my list, but my absolute favorites are yellow roses, and pink gerber daisies. Happy flowers.

Ina in Alaska said...

I love those Calla Lilys because I think they look very Art Deco, which I love....

Also I enjoy roses, lots and lots and lots of them. Because they are romantic.

xoxo

OHN said...

My lilac blooms are almost over :(

Susan said...

I LOVE the May blooms too... one of my favorites are Lily of the Valley (bloomed now) and Peonies... which have lots of buds now (and smell so wonderful)! Loved your beautiful flowers you posted AND I always put a penny in my cut tulips - you told me once and I always remember!!!

Joyce said...

Lilacs have always been a favorite since I was a young girl. Maybe back then because I loved purple. I like any flower with a hint of scent. Enjoy! xoxo

Formerly known as Frau said...

gardinas for sure had them at my wedding also but I love hydranias, oh and daisy too!

Kim said...

I like irises--my sorority's fleur de lis, although I liked them even before that. I don't have a single iris in my garden, but my grandmother had hundreds. Lilacs and tulips don't grow that well in the South, doesn't get cold enough, so I miss them. Tulip bulbs have to be replaced so often, they're more like annuals than perennials. I think there's only one kind of lilac that can be planted here.

I always loved peonies--we had bunches of them when I was a kid and I made millions of bouquets.