Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Soup's on!

Thanks to Ina J. Offret, I have been thinking of soup for a week now, so I decided to drag out the crock-pot. I love my crock-pot/slow-cooker. Its like having a Mom! I come home after a day of errands, tennis, after school activities and the whole house smells so good and I honestly catch myself thinking, "I wonder what she made?" I add a salad and a crusty loaf of bread and we have (I think) the perfect meal. 
Now, there is a downside. I have to remember to do this ten to twelve hours in advance-not always easy for me. But I remembered this morning, Hooray!
So, we will be having White bean and kielbasa soup tonight!
here is the recipe taken from my slow cooker cookbook:
White Bean(cannelli) and Turkey Kielbasa Soup
1 16ounce pack of dried beans, sorted and rinsed
1 lb of Kielbasa, cut into 1/4 inch slices
2 med. carrots cut into 1/4 inch slices
2 stalks of celery cut into 1/4 inch slices
1 large onion finely chopped
2 garlic cloves finely chopped
7 cups of water
salt and pepper to taste ( the kielbasa has enough salt for me)
1 14 1/2 ounce can of diced tomatoes, undrained

Mix all ingredients except tomatoes in slow cooker
cover and cook on high for 10-12 hours until beans are tender
stir in tomatoes
cover and cook on high for another 15 minutes

let me know if you try this and what you think!

3 comments:

Leciawp said...

Sounds delicious! I love soup, especially in the fall.

Ina in Alaska said...

Yummy! I too love the slow cooker and love the way the house smells when I get home. Bon Appetit!

PS Your son looks great in his baseball uniform!!!! A future Yankee?????

preppyplayer said...

Thanks Ina. In fact he was scouted by the Yankees and other teams through highschool and college but decided to go down another road.. he does play semi pro ball though when not working his real job. by the way- we have a lot more in common! My parents and 3 sisters have lived in salt lake for many years, I think you may have someone there from what I have read on your blog roll. And two of my uncles used to live in Alaska. what about that!