Monday, January 11, 2010

Patience with the patient...

So, I'm glad to know that it was a very, very good decision for me...
to NOT go into nursing.

My daughter is a sweetie, she is a hard working, trained college athlete.
But, if I had to beg, nag, cajole or threaten her one more time to drink more water, take her meds, do her PT, ice her knee, eat more, move more (prevents blood clots), and stop watching every trash show on TV and read something worthwhile...

Well,
I thought I was going to kill her.
I don't think she knew that. ( she was on narcotics)
I seemed patient, kind, and loving.
But inside I felt like screaming.

I can definitely handle being her nurse for a couple more weeks, but I could NEVER do this full time.
How do nurses do it? In fact, how do ALL caregivers do it?
I have always respected those that care for others.
Now I will worship them.
There must be a special spot in heaven for all caregivers.
Strike that, I KNOW there is.

6 comments:

Susan R said...

You have a very different situation here in that YOU are giving her the advice vs. a nurse or doctor, etc...It's much different coming from a parent than from a medical professional. Oh boy! The things my husband and I had to do just to get our oldest son to take medication. Suffice it to say that we still have to get every medication he is prescribed in liquid form. Forget pills (it's never going to happen). If possible take a walk around the block and come back. Elementary advice, but it still works for me. Hang in there.

Kim said...

I'm with you on that one. I could never do it. Nor could I ever be a teacher.

Joyce said...

I am with you- I could never be a nurse nor do I have th patience for one. Smile... I hope you daughter is on the mends. xo

Formerly known as Frau said...

I have no patience and I hate blood other than that I thought about being a nurse. It's hard have patience when it's your own family. Hope she is healing.
xo

Barrett said...

Oh don't tell me that! My oldest will probably have to have her knee fixed sometime this spring. She played soccer up until last year very competitively now she plays club in college and runs long distances (for fun HA). Her knee is giving her problems along with her IT band. The doctor thinks her knee just needs to be cleaned up a little, no tears right now. I am not looking forward to the rehab. and nursing part. I am not patient either. She wants to be nurse though, so maybe she won't be a bad patient.... hopefully, she won't have to have surgery.

What Kate Wore said...

You are doing an amazing job, but I totally get the stressors involved, having been similarly engaged with another family member longterm. I really thought my brain would explode.

When she is coherent you can simply look at her and say "Yes, I am a saint."

smiles at you,
tp