Friday, September 25, 2009

Candle Damage!


Most of you know I have an early evening ritual.
I pour myself a glass of red wine, turn on music or TV, light a candle and make dinner.
Not every night, but many nights.
For years.
So recently I was more than shocked to see what the soot of a candle can do...
The entire area of the kitchen that I would light my Yankee candles is... disgusting.
I had no idea that a candle could do so much damage until I took down all the prints that had lined the upper wall.
Has this happened to you? And how could I not have noticed?

11 comments:

Susan said...

You know I'm a HUGE candle person, Yankee and others - they cause A LOT of candle soot... those toppers w/ cut outs help a lot (over the top of the candle)... and I too have the same ritual, especially this time of year! I'll deal w/ the soot, can't cut out my candles!

Pink Martini said...

Candle burning is also supposed to be unhealthy too from what I've read. :( I am a piro when it comes to candles and have caught things on fire twice. My friend gave me a candle warmer base that you plug in. It's like the ones we used to have for mugs at work. You place your Yankee candle on top of the surface and the heat makes the fragrance release. I bet the mark you see are from grease particles that float up into the air too. They leave a slight stickiness on every surface that dust will cling to but we don't realize it in day to day activity. I hope you don't give up your candle ... or your glass of antioxidants. ;)

Suburban Princess said...

Most candles burn very very dirty - except Partylite (no I'm not a rep). I was amazed at the difference! They are so worth the money and I used to be a huge Yankee candle fan!

Somer Love said...

I use to burn candles a ton but havent really ever in this house 9 yrs now for that same reason...

Somer Love said...

Oh you might want to look into candle warmers, Just a thought. You can still smell the scent you just don't have the soot

Ina in Alaska said...

Wow! Who knew this could happen!! I like the great ideas in the comments above mine!!!

OHN said...

Yikes. I guess this just convinced me not to take down anything I have hanging.

If I can't see it....it isn't there :)

Paula said...

Who would have thought that candles let out so much soot?? I frequently set things on fire in my kitchen (mostly dish towels and pot holders) so I don't push my luck with candles.

Joyce said...

I enjoy having candles. Knock on wood I haven't had this problem. I keep the wick pretty short. I only had one Yankee candle and it was a small candle. xoxo

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Yes!! This has happened to me. :-( I have made the switch to soy (easy to find now at craft fairs I'm noticing) and on etsy. I do have my one Yankee Candle autumn harvest (or something like that) sent that I haven't been able to let go of, though.

Love your blog, by the way!

AMIT said...

I too love candles and i think the flames did this thing or the candle touches somewhere.

Domain registration india